The INTERNET OF BINS project’s overall objective is in full accordance with the programme’s specific objective (1.1) of the thematic priority (c) in which belongs: To increase the capacity of CB infrastructure in waste management and monitoring by adopting innovative approaches/models for sustainable solid waste management at local level.
Furthermore,the project itself, serves as a pilot project and model for other communities of the programme area and goes beyond the existing waste management practices both a) in the Programm area and b) in the participating countries as well. Moreover, from a strategic perspective, the project directly contributes to the achievement of the programme’s strategic objective: to forge new capacities and strengthen collaboration networks in order to address common challenges through joint interventions.
Other major project sub-objectives include:
- Strengthening CBC between Greece and Albania within the context of sustainable waste management by creating a self-sustainable network of local and regional organisations.
- Encourage the consideration of smart waste management in the design of ICT policy of the CB programme area.
- Establishment of an Enabling Environment
- Achievement economies of scale
- Promotion of research in the fields of ICT
- Improvement of people’s quality of life
- Reduce environmental impact comparing with current methodologies
- Increase the awareness of new waste collection methodologies, provide training and disseminate information for the active participation of local stakeholders
- To exchange best practices in waste management on an intraregional and international level.
The direct and immediate effects resulting from the project are (expected results):
- Improvement of CB Waste Management Capacity.
- Rationalization and minimization of waste management costs
- Modernization of the excising waste management equipment .
- Overall growth of quality of life affecting positively inhabitants as well as the development of the areas of interest as tourists destinations
- New practices and technologies tested and available for use by interested local governments.
- An integrated-sharing platform (data registry) available for use from interested local and regional governments
- Project actions directly promote the implementation of EU and national legislation, particurlaly the adoption of the revised Waste Framework Directive (2008/98/EC)
- Harmonization with the new EU’s approach on smart cities and communities.
- INTERNET OF BINS encourages and support a “smart-eco alliance” between Greece-Albania which can serves as a best practice/model for promotion of robust CBC networks. Several added-value and innovative outputs will be delivered to various beneficiaries and emerging technologies and tools will be adopted for multimodal purposes.
- INTERNET OF BINS pave the way for future investments which will produce tangible and visible results on waste management. The project beneficiaries will benefit from a great opportunity given for mutual learning and exchange of knowledge which will raise their level of experience and maturity concerning the applicability of innovative ICT tools for waste management.
- Optimization of the operating characteristics of waste collection systems for achieving maximum recycling/recovery rates through better planning and the provision of updated information and data in the areas of interes